Here are a few standard shapes and structures traditionally employed in cake designs.Sheet Cakes
Double layered cake decorated with rolled fondant animal and jungle scene over butter-cream icing.
Layering of two same size cake adds height and volume to the design. A filling of your choice between the two layers are used and a normally two-inch thick cake is now four-inches high.
Four Square Stacked design embellished with sugar flowers and ribbons, figurine couple cake topper.
The stacked style is a current favorite of modern brides. The number of stacks will depend on the number of desired servings. Each section of the stack is a four-inch high layered cake.
Three Tiered Style embellished with fresh flowers, two hearts cake topper, decorated with classic buttercream frosting.
Classic and traditional, tiered cakes still find favor among the romantic among us. The four-inch high layered cakes are separated by plates and pillars to give it a grand presence.
Satellite Style, classic basket-weave buttercream icing, monograms, fresh flowers, several individual cake stands.
Each four-inch high layered cake sits on its own pedestal. This allows for flexibility in the presentation dictated by the space and setting.
Wedding Cake Guidelines
Want a Larger Cake?
Many brides want the look of a big wedding cake, yet they do not need that many servings for their size reception. Certain cake designs, such as tiers set on pillars, give the illusion of a larger cake.
Want More Servings?
- Add a larger base tier.
- Increase the size of each tier. For example – change 14, 10, and 6 in. tiers to 16, 12, and 8 in.
- Add satellite cakes. This gives a lavish effect on the reception table.
- A bonus – the satellite cakes are easy to serve.
- Have extra cake in the kitchen for extra servings. Sheet cakes are most economical and convenient to serve, and guests will not be able to tell the difference.
Need Fewer Servings?
- Subtract a tier, usually the base tier.
- Reduce the size of the tiers – change from 16, 12, and 8 in. tiers to 14, 10, and 6 in. tiers
- Reduce the size of the satellite cakes. Instead of 12 in. satellites, use 10 in. Or reduce a 10 in. satellite to 8 in.
Nearly every cake can be adapted to fit any size wedding. If the design doesn’t fit the number of servings needed, simply adjust it to the wedding size.
Please note: The top tier is often saved for the first anniversary. The number of servings given here does not include the top tier.
Yellow, Chocolate, Marble, White Almond, Strawberry, Lemon, Pineapple, Coconut, White, Red Velvet, Spice, German Chocolate, Banana, Pistachio, and Raspberry.
White Buttercream, Chocolate Buttercream, Whipped Cream, Rolled Fondant
Apricot Preserve, Bavarian Cream, Chocolate Pudding, Lemon Curd, Pineapple Preserve, Raspberry and Strawberry Preserve, Vanilla Pudding.
Cake Serving Size
Cake slices are 1”x2”x4” based on Wilton Cake Cutting Guide. Cakes have two layers per tier with icing between layers unless filling is desired.
Tiered and Stacked Cake Pricing
Pricing is based on a per serving basis.
Flowers and Ornaments
- Soft Icing Flowers – no extra charge unless design requires extra flowers.
- Silk Flowers must be provided to us.
- Fresh Flowers – Florist or other party you entrust can place fresh flowers on the cake. We can assist in determining the quantity of flowers required to achieve the look you desire. You may bring the flowers to us or have flowers delivered to us before the wedding reception day. A 15% handling fee will be charged.
- Sugar Flowers made from Royal Icing or Gum Paste charged at retail price.
- Cake Ornament, Topper or Other Ornaments – You may purchase from us or from others.
$25. A deposit of $50 to $75 required (depending on complexity of design. Deposit will be returned when all the pieces are returned).
Delivery and Set-up
$50 or more depending on distance and time needed to set up.
Additional items such as cake stands, cake bottom boards, cake plates, pillars with/without rings, stairs, candle holders, flower vases, etc. are available for rent which require a deposit. Fees vary for each item.
All items must be returned clean and in good working condition the week after the wedding reception. Upon return of all items, your deposit will be reimbursed. Charges will apply to lost or damaged item.
All cakes must be paid in full one month prior to wedding reception date.
A non-refundable $50.00 consultation fee is due when we sit down and plan your wedding cake together. This fee will apply as a deposit toward your wedding cake only. If you cancel your wedding cake order, The $50.00 deposit cannot be applied towards the purchase of another cake.
All wedding consultations are by appointment only from Monday thru Wednesday. No Friday or Saturday appointments available.